Login    

Register Contactform  •   FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

TIP FOR ALL HU PLAYERS: RIGHTCLICK ON THE TOURNEY SETUP LINKS AND OPEN THEM IN A NEW TAB OR WINDOW.
Jump to:  
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: From the Kitch'n
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:32 am 

This one was originally post by Quaisdimentional on Nov 4, 2010. It's his Strawberry Shortcake receipe.

Ingredients
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Whipped cream
1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
Directions
In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:35 am 

:D :D posted by me... in the other kitchen....

Cherry Delight

1 1/2 cup graham wafer crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons melted butter
8oz cream cheese
1 cup icing sugar
2pkg Dream whip
Cherry pie filling

Mix crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Press in an 8x10 inch pan.Bake at 375 degrees F. for 5 minutes. Add sugar to softened cheese and beat well. (Prepare dream whip according to package) Fold in whipped cream. Pour on crust. Top with cherry pie filling. Other fillings may be used, if desired.

Best cheese cake ever... Very Happy

Enjoy

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:36 am 

This one was posted by Debs Nov 8, 2010

Pecan and Bourbon glazed Turkey

Ingredients
Turkey:

• 4 tablespoons butter, softened
• 1 tablespoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
• 2 tablespoons minced shallots
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

• 1 (12-pound) turkey
• Stuffing, if desired

Glaze:

• 2 sticks butter
• 2 cups pecan halves
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup molasses
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1/2 cup bourbon

For the turkey:
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a small mixing bowl combine all ingredients
Thoroughly rinse and dry the turkey well. Tuck the wings underneath the body and place the turkey in a roasting pan. Rub the butter mixture all over the turkey. Stuff, if desired. Roast for 18 minutes per pound (including stuffing weight, if using). The turkey is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh and deep into the stuffing registers 165 degrees F and the juices run clear. Remove from the oven and loosely tent with foil. Let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
For the glaze:
Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. When the butter just begins to bubble, stir in the pecan halves. Let the pecan halves gently fry in the butter until they take on a lightly toasted color. Then add the sugar, molasses and honey and stir until the sugar melts. Pour in the bourbon, raise the heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the glaze is smooth, except for the pecans, of course, and syrupy.
Let the glaze cool slightly and then pour it over the roasted turkey. Serve any extra glaze in the side at the table.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:37 am 

This one was posted by Lil Doe Nov 9, 2010

this is my favorite pie, it's not a joke it's really what it's called

Possum Pie

Ingredients
2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1-3/4 cups cold milk
3/4 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
1/3 cup instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
12 to 16 pecan halves
Directions
In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
In a bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Spoon over the pecans. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Top with whipped cream and pecan halves. Yield: 8 servings

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:40 am 

This one was posted by Sniper Nov 18, 2010

If you have a smoker, you have to try this.

Poultry Brine:

1 1/2 Gal Water
1/2 C Sea Salt (never use iodized salt)
1/2 C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice
2 tsp Celery Salt

Mix all ingredients until dissolved. Use a food grade plastic bucket and submerge up to 12lb turkey. Put the bucket in a tub of ice (like a keg) and add more ice as needed to keep the brine cold. Putting a bag of ice on top will help and also keep the bird submerged. Covering the whole thing with a blanket will make the ice last longer. After 8-10 hours remove the bird. Some folks go straight from the bucket to the smoker. I like to cover and put the bird in the refrigerator (breast down) overnight and put it on the smoker in the morning. This is a basic brine so experiment and add other spices or try adding some beer ect... Wink

On the smoker:

Low and slow is the name of the game when smoking, but the skin on poultry can get rubbery at low temps so I suggest running your pit at 275F-290F to produce a better skin. Insert a temperature probe in the bird and smoke until internal temp hits 170F. When you pull the bird it will continue to cook and the internal temp will keep climbing for a while. The brine not only adds flavor, but also produces a really moist bird. Also keep the smoke light, the bird is gonna be in there a long time. Too much smoke will ruin anything, not just poultry. You don't have to see smoke, if you can smell it, your smoking.

The brining time is approximate and will vary depending on your taste and size of the bird. Again, experiment to find what you like.

Safety:

From 40F to 140F is the danger zone for poultry. Running your pit below 250F is taking a huge risk. The bigger the bird, the longer your in the danger zone, a 14lb bird is about the max I would go. Never use the worthless thermometer that came with your smoker. Get a separate probe to keep track of the pit temp.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:40 am 

Great recipes FF. 8-)
I'd fergotten 'bout the kitchen.
I got this from Sniper years ago. No idea what dead animal that is, but I'll eat it :!: Image
Attachment:
P1000789.jpg
P1000789.jpg [ 104.5 KiB | Viewed 961 times ]

He sent me some other pix of his culinary masterpieces, but I don't know where I put 'em. :roll:

This was a banner for his smoker we was working on. Hope he don't mind me sharing it here. :lol:
Attachment:
BBQ1.jpg
BBQ1.jpg [ 102.27 KiB | Viewed 961 times ]

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:24 am 

Going through my cook books, I came across one that I got from my mother-in-law, after she passed away... This is just tid bit from the front of the book.

Ten Things for Good Living:

1: Speak to People...there is nothing so nice as a cheerful word of greeting
2: Smile at People...it takes 72 muscles to frown, only 14 to smile
3: Call People...the sweetest music to anyones' ears is the sound of his/her name
4: Be Friendly... and helpful, i you would have friends, be a friend
5: Be Cordial...speak and act as if everything you di is a genuine pleasure
6: Be Genuinely...interested in people - you can l ike almost everybody if you try
7: Be Generous...with praise - cautious with criticism
8: Be Considerate...with the feelings of others - ther are usually three sides to a controversy: yours, the other fellows, and the right side.
9: Be Alert...to give service - what counts most in life is what we do for others
10: Add to This...a good sense of humour, a big dose of patience and a dash of humility, and you will be rewarded many-fold

For a mother-in-law...

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:41 am 

Easy Antipasto.

2L ketchup
1 cup oil
1 cup vinegar
40 small pickled onions (1/2 - 375 ml jar)
1L garlic dill pickles
1Kg bag frozen cauliflower, partly defrosted
3 cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained
2 1/2 cans green beans, drained
1lb. red peppers
2lb. green peppers
3 cans tuna in water, drained
1 - 750 ml jar green stuffed olives, drained
3 - 398 ml cans black olives, drained

Chop all vegetables into small pieces. In a large soup kettle, boil ketchup, oil and vinegar for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add chopped cauliflower and boil for 5 minutes. Add red and green peppers; boil for 2 minutes.

Add remainder of chopped items and tuna. Stir well and boil 2 minuts. Put in canning jars and process in water bath for 20 minutes. Yield: appromimately twenty pints.

Leave tuna out for a vegetarian version or add another can of tuna to give a stronger flavour.
Best on crackers or on slices of zucchini or cucumber.

Profile E-mail